Thursday, June 9, 2016









6 June 2016
Hello everyone,
This week was a bit of a cultural dive. On the first of the month this week, Malaysia celebrated Hari Gawai which is the big harvest festival of the year. Apparently it is a really big thing. Like, there is Christmas, and then there is Gawai. Just another time to eat tons of food visit family and stuff. We followed some members around as they visited their friends and family and I have never eaten so much food at one time in my life. Each house you go to, you have to eat what is given. A lot is always given. I couldn't keep my stomach in. Eventually it went back in don't worry. One way sweet thing I saw was this old man. (look at my dropbox) He had quite a story. He is 103 and is just jalan-jalan-ing like normal. So Malaysia has a historical culture of head hunting which has been gone for quite a while and it is rare to find anyone who was a head hunter anymore. But, hidden in a kampung which we visited, there he was. He had participated in the head hunting for most of his life. He was also a known forest wizard/healer. He served in WWII for the Japanese burning villages at that time. A bunch of things like this. He sounds pretty merciless but he was a way sweet guy. When he turned 100 he became Christian. That's a nice achievement in his life I think.
Anyway, besides eating and stuff like that, it was a pretty hard week. I have felt very persecuted but I have also never felt strangely happier. I love a quote that Jeffery R. Holland said last conference. He said that "His divine love and unfailing help will be with us even when we struggle—no, will be with us especially when we struggle." I have never felt that more in my life. I don't have a lot else to write about. Of course stuff happened this week but but I am not sure how to write about it. Pretty much Satan sucks and will use anything to deteriorate your being, but you can get rid of that way fast through the Gospel. There have been a few times I have gotten way pumped because I have felt that I literally (more or less) punched Satan in the face. Anyway, I guess one scripture that I have loved this week is from
John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
Dang that's good. That's brought me hope this week. I love this. Anyway, I love you all. 
Love,
Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment